Provocation is a Cheap Thrill

My personal ranting space and shameless self promotion page.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet

A lot of people are curious about the
CHEAP THRILLER's name. It actually has to do with this blog's title (which is my unofficial slogan).
It all started as a school project (I'm an Arts major). The
instructions were: "Bring in a readymade/handled readymade. The subject is Provocation."
Now, I just happened to have dealt with this specific subject, last year, so doing it again was kind of annoying. I mean, are these teachers so bored with what they teach, they have to be intentionally provoked? (or is this their way of being naughty?.. hehehe) The thing is, when I get annoyed, I have this behavioral pattern to intelligantly spite. And so I
did:
Mind you, this wondrous, giant suction-cup dildo of-color wasn't just a whim, but a product of deep rumination and exploration of my most profound thoughts on the subject of provocation.
I illuminate:

I came up with a few sketches:

As you can see, most of these ideas are one-time gags - pretty much funny for a second and then you get over it. However, the chosen sketch is a bit more challenging and actually comments on all the others.
Obviously the dildo is the provocation factor (and it undoubtedly works every time!:)). I put no effort in making this dildo (except for choosing the most realistic one in my collection). But the little sign is the real focus in this piece. I made the exaggarated frame myself, and made sure the font is as small as it can be, while still readable. Typographically, I chose a sqarish bold font, in order to make my statement as rock-solid as possible. The idea is, You have to be at nose-length from the tip of the dildo, to actually read the sign. At which point, you already realized you've been had, by the one-time allure of the stick-on dildo, hanging on the wall.
This piece and it's underlying meaning stuck with me. So when the mission of naming my shop came up, it came back to haunt me, seeing as shock value is an inseparable part of my work. It's kind of a kick in my own face, because it undermines my own work, but I guess that's part of what I'm all about.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home